Saturday, June 25, 2016

Perspective

         

Perspective



          I’ve found I’ve lost my interest in Facebook recently. I’ve told myself I’ve had some great times with Facebook sharing my thoughts, commenting on others posts and sharing posts that sometimes I agreed with, sometimes I didn’t but was always interested in responses to. However recently I’ve found myself putting some distance between Facebook and myself. In part I know it’s had to do with the current presidential race but there’s been more. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until this morning as I was reading another comment by someone who shared their experience of shopping in a store and seeing someone else shopping there and carrying a holstered handgun. The person posting said they talked to the manager of the store and was told the company policy permits such a practice. The person then stated they would no longer shop at that store which of course is their right. For those with tender constitutions I apologize ahead of time but for me reading that post was the trigger that finally assaulted my sensibilities beyond recovery.


          Now before you jump to the conclusion that this is all about gun control please know that it isn’t. It’s about more than that for me. It's about the way Facebook has come to shape my view of the world around me. I suppose it’s about perspective in my case and feeling that there appears to be a lack of it these days pretty much anywhere and yes I admit that it’s my perspective from an extremely minuscule sampling source. And still it is how I’ve found myself reacting to much of what I read on my Facebook page.

          What has prompted something of a reset within me this morning comes from a lifetime of trying to believe in much of anything but I suppose as much as anything trying to believe in people I have found myself surrounded by through the years. You see I want to believe in “people” more than most anything in my world. I’ve held “people” on pedestals pretty much all my life. The thing is I just don’t seem to see much of anything for a return on my investment and that demoralizes me more and more by the day. When I look around there just doesn’t seem to be a point of light to lock my sights on and aim for and so I find myself feeling that I am drifting even more than I am comfortable with.

          This morning I was reminded of a time when I honestly thought that Rush Limbaugh was the next coming and I wasn’t alone. In those days you would have found me on the job site with headphones on and listening to what he had to say by the hour, soaking up his “wisdom” as if I were sitting at the feet of some great prophet sent to save us all. Interestingly enough that period of my life was also when I was doing my damnedest to find God and in a way I was pretty sure the two were somehow connected. In my mind God and Rush would make it all better but in the end, for me at least, neither ever did and so there came a day when I took off the headphones and put down the bible.

          When I read that post this morning I found myself suddenly viewing some things from an entirely new perspective and to be honest with you I found myself feeling just a bit insulted by someone I’d likely never meet. You see I suddenly saw myself being the person wearing the handgun in that store and that person had seen me. So why should I feel insulted you might ask? For me it is the simple fact that this person saw a gun and only a gun. They took their insecurities and attached them to an inanimate object while never for a moment considering the person wearing the gun and yes I get it that many folks will insist that there’s something wrong with a person feeling the need to wear a gun in a public place but I would submit to you that there’s something wrong with a person who finds themselves needing to change a part of their normal everyday life because of a totally legal situation. From my perspective I’m reminded of driving on the highway and seeing a motorcyclist drive by me wearing a holstered handgun. Were that to happen to this individual would they stop driving on that highway?

          It seems to me that at this point in time extreme is the new moderation, knee jerk reactions to any and all incidents is the new norm and I’m feeling a really ugly undercurrent that if you’re not with me you’re against me. A middle ground is now looked upon as perhaps the most dangerous place one can find themselves far more often than was ever before the standard.

          My reset this morning has to do with guns only because it was the thing that seemed to finally congeal so many topics that I’ve followed over past months and years through so many different sources. It could just as easily have been politics or religion or which bathroom a person can use. For whatever reason the subject was guns and I found myself insulted because I could have been the person wearing that gun and someone would have assumed that because of my legal action another person found themselves somehow at risk.

          Perspective is something isn’t it? Had that person wearing that holstered gun instead been someone wearing a three piece suit and carrying a handgun inside the briefcase they were legally carrying because of their concealed carry permit the poster would still be shopping at the store they are now so traumatized by.

          I put down my headphones and my bible a long time ago because I came to believe that there is more than simply this right or that wrong and nothing in-between attitude. Yes there is right and there is wrong but there really is a middle ground that societies need to strive toward rather than childishly stomping their feet and saying this is the only way. In my world, for me, Rush Limbaugh eventually became a joke even though I was listening to him every day and maybe even twice on Sunday. There came a moment when something caused me to hit my own reset button so to speak. There was something about all of it that no longer made sense to me and so I stepped back and to this day I’ve yet to take that step forward again. And just to make myself clear it isn’t only about a radio talk show but about several things that today I feel I drank the Kool Aide on.

          Perspective never comes from what we focus on but rather from what we are willing to step away from for a moment so that we can see more of what there is to see. That can be a scary thing for untold reasons unique to each individual. The truth is we all like our own comfort zone and stepping beyond that brings about feelings of insecurity that we don’t much care for. So when we see someone doing something that we’d never consider doing we find it easiest to proclaim their actions wrong and ultimately in some instances intolerable.

          When it comes right down to it these days I’m not sure that perspective is something that most people understand because in the end it takes a bit of thinking and I don’t think folks like having to think for themselves all that much. Back when I was wearing my headphones I’d listen to Rush but I’d also listen to NPR news and wanted to tell myself that for the most part somewhere in the middle there was something close to the truth. I guess in those days it was my version of watching both CNN and Fox and then trying to find a middle ground. Whether I was coming close to “the truth” or not I have no way of knowing but I guess I did come to find my truth which ultimately really is the more important thing. The rest of that is that I’m willing to admit that I’m not sure I know the truth nor that I ever will but in certain select situations I know my truth which seems to help from time to time. With that being said I know that my truth influences my perspective and in the instances when I believe “my truth” is affecting it I do my level best to step back away even further from myself to examine what’s going on. And so it was with the post that prompted all of this.

          I can imagine that feeling the need to wear a gun in public can be defined as a type of paranoia by some while others might just as likely call it simple prudence. Likewise I can imagine that feeling the need to no longer frequent a store because a customer at that store has been seen wearing a gun could be called a form of paranoia as well by some and prudence by others. In the end the person who was seen doing nothing illegal will continue to shop at that store and think nothing of it while at the same time the person who saw the law abiding citizen walking through the store now feels compelled to no longer shop at that store and must now find another store to shop at. 

          And all the while my mind wanders back to the motorcyclist wearing the gun that passed me on I-17 as I headed north to Flagstaff; I’d sure hate for that person who decided to no longer shop in that store to be my navigator on what would have to be their new route from here to there.

But it never really works that way does it?

          There’s no way for me to determine whether I’ve lost perspective or the rest of the world has. How do I know that I’m the only sane person in an insane world? The truth is I don’t know, still, knowing that I don’t know counts for something.

          For me I’ve realized that the faith I always wanted to put in humanity was misplaced. That’s not to say that there aren’t individuals well worth believing in but for the most part humanity may well be a lost cause whether anyone wants to hear that or not. The dogmatic adherence to this belief or that belief will be the downfall of us all. Whether there is a way for all of us to take off our headphones or not I can’t guess but I do know that if we don’t we will ultimately find ourselves trying to find another store to shop in and another route to where we want to get to and neither will be what we thought we wanted in the first place.

          We can each of us choose to stay in our nice little comfortable world and view the outside world through our own set of prescription rose colored glasses or we can step back and take a second look, a look that we were convinced would show us nothing new or different, and simply try another perspective.

          And with that being said this writer will likely reset any time now so be aware and don’t forget to use a little perspective when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment